It’s the Sicilian city which meets the tourist coming from the mainland. It is situated between the Sea, facing the straits to which the city gives the name, and the slopes of Peloritani Mounts. It is rich in charm for the variety of views and colours.
To the South of Taormina spreads the wide beach of Giardini which ends in a low peninsula called Capo Schiso’, caused by the hardening, happened in prehistoric times, of lava coming from Mount Moio, the most peculiar Etna’s crater.
Taormina is famous even abroad for its beauty, landscapes, colours, position, mildness of climate and importance of its artistic monuments. For all these reasons the city is in great demand, refined residence for representatives of "jet society" and obliged destination for all the tourists coming to visit Sicily.
So far we have seen the Etna from a distance: there seemed immense its size without ever being able to embrace in full. In figures: the volcan covers an area of about 1570 square kilometers; It has a perimeter of about 212 km; its height - as a variable in all volcanoes - has fluctuated, from 1,932 to 1,966, between 3263 and 3326 meters.
It counts 48,493 inhabitants about 100 meters s.l.m .; It is placed on a flat lava that reaches the Ionian sea. Acireale was also sub-prefecture. The economy is based on agriculture of citrus groves, vineyards and the furniture industries and pasta.
Our itinerary from Taormina to Catania, dominated from the stands Etna, touching various locations at the coast which, in summer, is alive with bathers. Between the tourist centers of note there is Acitrezza, famous for being the place where Giovanni Verga set at the famous novel 'I Malavoglia'.
Town in the eighteenth century, picturesquely situated on three hills in Sicily and, therefore, called the "Queen of the Mountains"; agricultural center with renowned industries of terracotta and majolica. The cathedral was rebuilt in 800 radically.
Catania is at the foot of Mountain Etna, the highest active Volcano in Europe, and is ,by extension, just inferior to Palermo. This old "calcidese" colony, became so important, to build: temples, theatres, gymnasium, hippodrome, water system, thermal baths, mint and Inland Revenue. Then the city was ruled by Romans, Goths, Byzantines, Saracens, Normans, Spanish," Borboni", and in 1860 it joined to the Italian Kingdom.
Before dwelled by "Siculi" and by " Fenici", it was the second colony of Corinzi in 734 B.C ; it was called Siracuse for one of its marshs in the neighbourhood whose name is Syraka and through its animated history, it became one of the most important metropolis in the Mediterranean and a geographic point of connection.
Built in 1232 by Federico the II of Sweden, the city keeps in its modern aspect the old chequered map.
Developed on an island connected to the mainland by two bridges, among the harbours of Xifono and Magarese, the city is nowadays an important oil - chemical and industrial centre.
Noto was entirely rebuilt after the destruction caused by the earthquake of 1693. Nowadays the city has a typical eighteen hundred century harmonious and magnificent aspect. The town museum has a great importance with its archaeological department; all art works belong to Noto’ s territory.
Ragusa is a provincial capital with 66.492 inhabitants; 556 metres above sea level, to the South - east oriental part of Sicily.
Modica is an important centre in the provinces of Ragusa, with 47.537 inhabitants, 380 metres above the sea level, native land of Salvatore Quasimodo.
Modica is one of the most beautiful cities of Sicily, compared to Venice for its characteristics.
Enna is the highest provincial capital in Italy, it rises on a high ground of 948 metres, in the centre of Sicily, so much to be defined by Callimaco "navel" of Sicily. This old Sicilian city, was ruled by Cartaginesi, Romans, Byzantines and Normans.
It is placed on a high position, in one of the most beautiful areas of Sicily, plenty of woods, orchards and olive- groves. Piazza Armerina is the most important province after Enna. It is dominated by the large proportions of the Cathedral, started in 1627 by Orazio Torriani.
Its Arab name means "women’s rock". It is placed on a hill, 588 metres above sea level.
Agricultural town, it has been Capital of an important area full of sulphur, whose development and industrial decline have characterized the human condition of its 61146 inhabitants.
Gela has 74.806 inhabitants, it is 45 metres above the sea, called old "Terranova" of Sicily. Since the beginning its economy has been based on agriculture and sheep - rearing and nowadays is based also on petroleum refining.
Placed on high ground, the city is artistically really important because in its surroundings there is the archaeological complex of amazing beauty , the famous "Temples’ Valley". Old Akragas was built by colonists "redufeli" in 581 B.C and became so important and powerful that Pindaro defined it as the most beautiful "mortals’ city".
Sciacca is placed on a terrace which goes down towards the Sea, it is an important seaside and thermal resort. There are many monuments and works of art : Steripinto Palace; the Cathedral of XII century, remade in eighteen century...
Selinunte was probably established around 650 B.C., it took its name from the wild parsley, typical of the area and said "selinon" by Greeks. It was one of the most western and flourishing among the Greek colonies , as concern the beauty and the importance of its monuments.
The city is placed in the Western part of Sicily, on the promontory Boeo or Lilibeo. Ruled by "Cartaginesi", Romans and Saracens, who changed its name from Lilibeo in Marsa Ali’(Ali’s harbour), from which, Marsala takes its present name.
The city is situated on the West Coast of Sicily, it rises along a zone of land which stretchs out in the Sea and in a narrow plain at the foot of Mount Erice.
Just few minutes of cableway or few kilometres of road from Trapani and we’ll be in a sort of Switzerland, where courtyards and corners face on the clean and narrow streets square-paved with edges of white stones, they are embellished with flowers and plants.
Palermo, seat of Regional Government, is an ancient city. At the foot of "Conca d’Oro", a mountain chain of citrus groves and vineyards, and of "Monte Pellegrino", the city exceeds in number 700.000 inhabitants.
This beautiful town stands on the slopes of Mount Caputo, only 8 kilometres far from Palermo.It is really interesting to visit, because its Cathedral and the adjoining cloister is one of the most magnificent proof of the Norman art.
It is a commercial and seaside centre, dominated by a picturesque and majestic rock on which there are the ruins of a temple dedicated to "Diana".